Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
If you don't have hazelnut flavouring, almond also works.
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 1⁄4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 2⁄3 cup demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups barley flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 4 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hazelnut extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Combine the boiling water and oats, sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let sit for 20 minutes.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugars.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and hazelnut flavouring.
- Add oat mixture and beat well.
- Combine dry ingredients, add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Pour into a greased 9” x 13” pan and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.
- To make icing:.
- Warm cream and stir in instant coffee until dissolved then set aside until cool.
- Soften butter, stir in flavourings and powdered sugar, then add enough of the cream mixture to make a nicely spreadable icing.
- Frost the cake when it has cooled.