Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Cooking Light December 2009.
Make and share this Chocolate-Hazelnut Meringues recipe from Food.com.
- 5 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄3 cup blanched hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt, beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugars, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla; beat 1 minute.
- Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spoon 24 (2 inch round) mounds onto prepared baking sheets. Place in oven; bake at 250 for 1 hour or until dry to touch, rotating pans halfway through cooking. (Meringues are done when surface is dry and meringues can be removed from paper without sticking to fingers.) Turn oven off. Cool meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; carefully remove meringues from paper.
- Place chocolate in a medium glass bowl. Microwave at high 1 minute or until almost melted, stirring until smooth. Dip side of each meringue in melted chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.