Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This cakes looks very elegant and tastes delicious. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread, buy two 13-oz jars)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico liqueur (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
Filling and Frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups nutella
- 1 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- chocolate curls, chopped
- Microwave cream in a large bowl on high until steaming.
- Add chocolate; let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir until chocolate melts and mixture is smooth.
- Cover surface directly with plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours.
- Cake: Heat oven to 350°F.
- You’ll need two 9 x 2-in. round cake pans, greased and floured.
- Whisk cocoa powder and water in a medium bowl, then Nutella and buttermilk, Frangelico and vanilla.
- Beat sugar, butter, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large bowl with mixer on medium-high speed 3 minutes or until pale.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time.
- On low speed beat in flour in 3 additions alternating with cocoa mixture in 2 additions, beating just until blended.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes until a pick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- Run a knife around edge of each layer; turn out on rack and cool completely.
- Insert several toothpicks halfway up side around both cake layers.
- Using picks as a guide, cut layers in half with a long serrated knife.
- Filling & frosting: Beat cold chocolate mixture on medium speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Put Nutella into a bowl; stir in 1 1/2 cups chocolate mixture until smooth. Fold into remaining chocolate mixture until combined.
- Remove 2 1/2 cups to a bowl; stir in hazelnuts for filling.
- Reserve remainder for frosting.
- To assemble: Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with 1/3 the filling (1 scant cup).
- Top with second layer and 1/2 the remaining filling; repeat with third layer and remaining filling.
- Top with last cake layer.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting over top and sides; refrigerate 15 minutes to firm.
- Spread top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Garnish just before serving.
- Plan ahead: Wrap cooled cake layers and make frosting (through Step 1) up to 2 days ahead.
- Cover the frosted cake and refrigerate up to 3 days.