Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Oh yummy! 8)
- 6 slices firm white bread, each cut in 4-inch triangles
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Have a 2-quart shallow baking dish and a large roasting pan handy.
- Overlap the bread pieces in baking dish.
- Place dish in roasting pan.
- Bring 1 cup milk and cream to a simmer in a 1 quart saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Remove from heat; add the chocolate chips, sugar and coffee.
- Let it stand 2 minutes to melt chocolate and then whisk until blended.
- Whisk the remaining cup of milk and the eggs in large bowl until well blended, then whisk in chocolate mixture.
- Pour evenly over the arranged bread.
- Sprinkle the hazelnuts.
- Pour hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish.
- Bake 55-60 minutes until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Remove from water to a wire rack and serve warm or cold.
This was very good except it needed a little extra sugar. I added some confectioners sugar to the top and then it was was sweet enough. Thanks for posting.