Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in Jean Pare's "Company's Coming - Chocolate Everything" cookbook. A wonderful flour-free cake that's great for any special occasion.
- 6 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened (or hard margarine)
- 1 cup icing sugar (confectioner's)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa, sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- Place the eggs, hazelnuts, white sugar, chocolate chips, baking powder, vanilla and salt into a blender or food processor.
- Process for 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into two greased and parchment paper-lined 8" round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Beat butter, icing sugar, cocoa, vanilla and coffee together well in small bowl.
- Remove 1 cake layer, top side up, to plate.
- Spread with filling.
- Set second cake layer over filling, top side up.
- Frost with a light and fluffy chocolate frosting or use a chocolate ganache.