Nancy's Pantry's Note:
From Cooking Light Magazine. Vanilla low-fat ice cream melts over the warm bread pudding to form a sauce. If you have whole hazelnuts, toast them at 350 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes, or until the skins are loosened. To rub off the papery skins, roll the nuts in a clean dish towel. Then chop as needed. Prep time does not include chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Frangelico (hazelnut flavored liqueur)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups French bread, cubed (about 8 oz. - 1/2 inch cubed)
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, chopped
- 2 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream
- 1Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat 3 minutes or until chocolate melts, stirring constantly (do not boil).
- 2Combine egg whites and egg in a large bowl; gradually add hot milk mixture to egg mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Stir in liqueur, vanilla and salt. Add bread, tossing gently to coat.
- 3Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with foil, chill 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sprinkle hazelnuts evenly over pudding. Place dish in a 13x9 inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake, covered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve each bread pudding piece warm with 1/4 cup ice cream.
Browse Our Top Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cobblers and Crisps Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Hazelnut Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 557.6
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 36.7 mg
- Sodium 763.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 100.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 21.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: