Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The biscotti from The Bakehouse in Bloomington, IN are addictive. These can be baked three weeks ahead and frozen, making them an ideal Christmas gift This recipe came from Bon Appétit R.S.V.P. November 1999 The Bakehouse, Bloomington, IN
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, husked
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Grind 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts in processor. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl, set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl to blend. Add eggs and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until well blended.
- Add flour mixture, mix well.
- Mix in 1 cup whole toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- Shape each piece on baking sheet into 2 1/2-inch-wide by 14-inch-long log. Place logs on prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart (logs will spread during baking).
- Bake until logs feel firm when tops are gently pressed, about 35 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 15 minutes.
- Maintain oven temperature.
- Using long wide spatula, transfer baked logs to cutting board.
- Using serrated knife, cut warm logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 baking sheets. Bake biscotti until firm, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.
- (Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscotti can be prepared ahead. Store in airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.).