1 hr 30 mins
The biscotti from The Bakehouse in Bloomington, IN are addictive. These can be baked three weeks ahead and frozen, making them an ideal Christmas gift This recipe came from Bon Appétit R.S.V.P. November 1999 The Bakehouse, Bloomington, IN
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, husked
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, soft
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Line heavy large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 3Grind 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts in processor. Set aside.
- 4Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl, set aside.
- 5Beat butter and sugar in another large bowl to blend. Add eggs and vanilla and almond extracts and beat until well blended.
- 6Add flour mixture, mix well.
- 7Mix in 1 cup whole toasted hazelnuts, chocolate chips and 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts.
- 8Divide dough into 2 equal pieces.
- 9Shape each piece on baking sheet into 2 1/2-inch-wide by 14-inch-long log. Place logs on prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart (logs will spread during baking).
- 10Bake until logs feel firm when tops are gently pressed, about 35 minutes. Cool logs on baking sheet 15 minutes.
- 11Maintain oven temperature.
- 12Using long wide spatula, transfer baked logs to cutting board.
- 13Using serrated knife, cut warm logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 14Arrange slices, cut side down, on 2 baking sheets. Bake biscotti until firm, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely.
- 15(Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscotti can be prepared ahead. Store in airtight container up to 4 days, or wrap in foil and freeze in resealable plastic bags up to 3 weeks.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Hazelnut Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (1600 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1748.8
- Calories from Fat 864
- Total Fat 96.0 g
- Saturated Fat 41.3 g
- Cholesterol 280.6 mg
- Sodium 764.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 215.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 126.0 g
- Protein 27.0 g