Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Another fabulous recipe in the first edition - September 2005 - of the new Australian magazine 'Notebook: ideas for living'. It's part of a suggested Father's Day luncheon. I am posting it here for safe-keeping, and for the Zaar World Tour 2005.
Top Review by Margii
Haven't made these but was googling recipes and found the original on a website and it calls for 1 tsp ground cinnamon. Just thought I would let everyone know as the OP had accidently omitted it. Thanks Oh and will be making these tomorrow!!!
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 2⁄3 cups plain flour
- 2 tablespoons Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 orange, zest of, finely grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200º Celsius Roast the hazelnuts on an oven tray for 10 minutes or until they are golden and the skins are flaking. Rub well in a clean tea towel to remove the skins. Chop coarsely.
- Sift the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon into a separate bowl, and gradually add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly, then halve.
- Shape into 2 separate 25cm-long logs; place the logs on an oven tray lined with baking paper, bake for 15 minutes, then remove from the oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Slice the logs diagonally into 5mm-thick slices, place on the oven trays and return to the oven for 10 minutes or until dry.
- Cool on a wire rack, then store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.