Recipe by Cynna
Prep time includes dough chilling. Servings are guesstimated. Posted for ZWT II '06.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups sweet butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 6 cups flour (all-purpose)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the filling, Put the yolk in a medium size bowl; add the other ingredients.
- Mix well and wrap bowl in plastic wrap and store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Be sure to let mixture come to room temperature before use.
- For the dough, in a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and the butter.
- Beat in vanilla and salt.
- Add eggs one at the time. Gradually blend in flour.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for 2 hours until firm enough to roll and handle.
- Roll out pieces of dough to 1/4 -inch thickness.
- Cut rounds with a 4-inch cookie cutter.
- Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each round.
- Gather the edges of the dough around the filling and pinch at 3 points to secure seams firmly.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- When the hammentashen come out from the oven, the dough will be slightly soft, but it will firm as it cools.
- Good Luck!