Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A very moist dense chocolate cake that gets even better with age! The dark beer is what gives this cake an intense flavor! This cake will not fit into a regular size 12-cup bundt pan.
Top Review by Mewnshine
Great option for a not-too-sweet chocolate cake; the stout flavor of the beer came through very nicely. I used half a recipe which fit into a bundt pan nicely (baking time about 40 min @ 350F)
- 2 cups guinness stout beer (or use a similar beer)
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking soda (yes, 1 tablespoon!)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease three 9 or 10-inch round cake pans then line the bottoms with parchment paper, then butter the paper.
- Bring 2 cups stout beer and 2 cups butter to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in cocoa powder and whisk until mixture is smooth; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt.
- In another bowl using an electric mixer beat eggs until thick and lemon coloured (about 5-6 minutes, this is important must beat for no less than 5 minutes!) add in the sour cream and beat until well combined.
- Add the stout/chocolate mixture to the egg mixture; beat JUST to combine.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat on low speed until combined.
- Divide the batter equally among the three pans.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the cakes test done.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove to plates.