Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a recipie from epicurious.com on their website, from Gourmet magazine.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 7 ounces fine-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 cup dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3⁄4 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- unsalted butter, for greasing griddle
- Make sauce:.
- Bring cream to a boil in a 1-quart saucepan, then pour hot cream over chocolate in a bowl, gently whisking until smooth. Keep warm or at room temperature.
- Make griddle cakes:.
- Sift together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl, then whisk in eggs, yolk, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until combined well.
- Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over moderately low heat and lightly coat with butter.
- Working in batches of 2 or 3, pour 1/4 cup batter per cake onto hot griddle and cook until bubbles appear on surface, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip cakes with a large spatula and cook until tops spring back when pressed gently, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm. Add 1/2 teaspoon butter to griddle between batches.
- Serve cakes in stacks, topped with chocolate sauce.
- Gourmet, January 2004.