Recipe by Chef Dee
This is my favourite square to make for Christmas trays. The layers look so nice, and the caramel colored icing adds some variation on a tray. The taste is also a hit, it is one square that is not too sweet. This is a variation on a Company's Coming recipe.
Top Review by Gerry
This square is a wonderful addition to the serving tray - as lovely to look at as they are to eat ... just what I expect from a Company's Coming cookbook recipe! Made as posted - loved the pecans - recipe now in my Holiday Cookbook. That says it all. Thank you Dee for a recipe that made for an empty pan.
- 40 graham crackers
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 3 cups icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Line crackers on a Pam sprayed 9x13 pan.
- In a large saucepan, over med heat soften the margarine. Add the milk and brown sugar, bring to a boil.
- Boil 1 min, then simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the choc chips until melted.
- Fold in the graham crumbs and pecans, then spread over the graham crackers.
- Filling will look soft.
- Place a layer of graham crackers over top.
- Chill to set, then frost as instructed.
- FROSTING: On med. heat melt margarine in saucepan, add milk and brown sugar. Low boil for 1 minute.
- Simmer on low for 2 minutes, then pour into mixing bowl.
- When cool, beat in the icing sugar.
- Icing should be firm but soft enough to spread, you may add more sugar or milk to get the right consistency.
- Run a fork down the icing making a lined design.