Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my version of a coffecake my Sister Lisa made for my and our Mama's shared Birthday. This one is for the chocolate lovers.
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip, divided
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the first four ingredients together and put half of batter into pan.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together, using 1/2 of the chocolate chips and put half the crumb mix over the batter in pan.
- Put remaining batter over the crumbs and last put remainder of crumbs on top.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool for 20 minutes. Melt remaining chips in microwave at 30 second intervals until smooth. Drizzle over coffeecake with a spoon. Enjoy! This also freezes beautifully.
What a great way to kick up a box cake mix! The mixture in the middle makes this cake incredibly moist and flavorful. I was surprised I could even taste it, but the cinnamon gives it a great little something extra. I did change it a little because some of the people I was serving it to can't have nuts. So, I made two 9" round cakes (one with nuts and one without) instead of one 13"x9". There wasn't quite enough batter to do as much on top of the filling as directed, but I did get most of it covered. What showed through looked very nice. The two cakes baked up perfectly in exactly 25 minutes. I made this for PAC Spring 2007, which coincided with my grandmother's birthday, so this was her birthday cake. :)