Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Halloween treat! This makes a moist, mild cookie--that really does need the chocolate, and not just for the orange and black combination. (It's not just an excuse to add more chocolate to the diet!) I have made very few modifications to the recipe, for once! Per the original recipe: "Canned pumpkin puree gives these cookies a tender, almost cake like texture. Store them in layers divided by parchment paper in an airtight container up to three days."
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg to butter/sugar and beat until smooth.
- With mixer on low speed, alternately add flour mixture in two parts and pumpkin puree in one. (Begin and end with flour mixture). Mix just until combined.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto two baking sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake until cookies are puffed and golden, 15 to 20 minutes, rotating sheets once during baking.
- When done, immediately transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- When cookies have cooled, set the racks of cookies over wax paper and melt the chocolate. (Microwave, double boiler, or small heavy sauce pan).
- Using a large tablespoon or serving spoon, drizzle the chocolate over the cookies, then refrigerate the cookies until the chocolate is firm--about 20 minutes.