If you want to secure your reputation as a dessert maker, this bar will certainly do it!! The caramel is this recipe is different from the one usually employed, it is borrowed from pastry chefs and produces a caramel with exceptionally fine flavor and color...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup tbsps powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped macadamia nuts
- 1Preheat oven to 325*.
- 2Lightly grease a 9x13" glass baking pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- 3Line the pan with aluminum foil, letting the foil overhang the two narrow ends by about 2".
- 4For the shortbread; In a large bowl, with electric mixer on low, then medium speed, beat together the butter, powdered sugar, salt and vanilla until light and very well blended, about 2 minutes.
- 5Beat or stir in the flour until evenly incorporated.
- 6Firmly press the dough into the baking dish.
- 7Lay a sheet of wax paper over the dough, then press it out to the edges and smooth on top.Peel off and discard the paper.
- 8Bake in the middle of the oven for 27- 32 minutes or until pale golden all over and slightly darker at the edges.
- 9Transfer the dish to wire rack and set
- 11FOR THE CARAMEL. In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the cream, butter and salt. Bring just to a simmer over medium-high heat; immediately remove from the heat.
- 12In a medium, heavy saucepan, combine half of the sugar and the corn syrup over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- 13When the sugar is full incorporated and liquefies, stir in about half of the remaining sugar.
- 14When this sugar liquefies, stir in the remaining sugar,.
- 15Cook, stirring and scraping down the pan sides, for 5-7 minutes more, or until all the sugar liquefies,, bubbles and turns a medium tan color.
- 16Immediately remove from heat,.
- 17Working carefully to avoid splatters and steam, pour the hot cream mixture into the caramel, stirring and scraping the pan bottom and sides with a long handled wooden spon until the caramel completely dissolves.
- 18Rinse all the sugar crystals from the spoon.
- 19Return the caramel mixture to the burner over medium-high heat.
- 20Insert a candy thermometer into the mixture, being sure the tip doesn't touch the bottom of the pan. continue cooking, stirring gently until the thermometer reqisters 246*-2467*.
- 21Immediately remove the pan from the heat. Stir in vanilla.
- 22Being careful ot to scrape any caramel or sugar crystals from the pan sides, pour the caramel through a fine sieve over the shortbread.
- 23Tip the baking dish back and forth to distribute the caramel evenly.
- 24Sprinkle the macadamia nuts evenly over the caramel.
- 25Let stand until the caramel cools to warm Using the palm of your hand, press down on the nuts to embed them.
- 26For the glaze: in a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the cream and corn syrup on 100% power for 30 seconds, or until very hot but not boiling; set aside.
- 27In a small microwave safe bowl, microwave the chocolates and butter on 100% power for 1 minute. Stir well. Continue microwaving on 50% power, stirring at 30 second intervals.
- 28Stop microwaving before the chocolates completely melt and let the residual heat finish the job. Slowly add the cream mixture into the chocolate mixture until well blended and smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Spread the glaze evenly over the cooled caramel. Let stand until complete cooled.
- 29Refrigerate the shortbread until chilled. Using the overhanging foil as ahandles, transfer the shortbread to a cutting board. Carefully peel off and discard the foil.
- 30Using a large, sharp knife, cut the shortbread into 36 bars, wipe knife between cuts.
- 31Store in an airtight container in a cool place for up to 1 week,.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Glazed Macadamia Caramel Shortbread Bars
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.1
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 21.7 mg
- Sodium 42.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 1.1 g