Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A yummy glazed cheescake.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
- 5 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons violets, petals
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- boiling water
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate baking squares, chopped
- candied violet (optional)
- violet leaf (optional)
- Using the butter, coat the inside bottom and 2 inches up the sides of a 10-C mold or 10-inch Bunt pan.
- Sprinkle mold with graham-cracker crumbs, shaking mold to evenly coat the inside completely. Turn mold upside down to remove excess crumbs.
- Heat oven to 325°F
- In large bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat cream cheese until softened and fluffy.
- Beat in sugar until well mixed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With rubber spatula, fold in violet petals and vanilla until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into prepared mold.
- Set filled mold in a 13- by 9-inch baking pan and place on the lower oven rack.
- Pour boiling water into pan to a depth of about 1 inch. Bake cheesecake 1 1/2 hours or until almost set in the center. If using Bunt pan, bake 1 1/4 hours.
- Turn off oven; let cake stand in oven 30 minutes longer.
- Remove cheesecake from the water bath and cool in the mold to room temperature on wire rack.
- Cut a piece of cardboard into a round to fit exactly over the cheesecake.
- Loosen the cake around the side of mold. Unmold cake onto the cardboard round and place on a wire rack set over a jelly-roll pan.
- Prepare Chocolate Glaze: In double boiler over hot, not boiling water, melt butter with chocolate squares Stir until smooth and cool to lukewarm.
- Pour half of glaze over top of cheesecake, and with small metal spatula, carefully spread to evenly cover side, allowing excess to drip into pan below.
- Refrigerate cake just until glaze hardens.
- Meanwhile, keep remaining glaze at room temperature. If glaze hardens, re-heat in hot water just until spoon able.
- Pour and evenly spread remaining glaze over cake.
- Refrigerate cheesecake at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, transfer cheesecake to serving plate.
- Garnish top with Candied Violets and decorate plate with violet leaves, if desired.