Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 mins
This must be put onto a cold cake that has chilled from the refrigerator or it will not harden, this works wonderful for a bundt or tube cake, it may also be used for an ice cream cake --- this glaze firms up but does not turn rock hard
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup shortening or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon water
- Make certain that the cake has been chilled in the fridge before starting the glaze.
- In a 4-cup pyrex bowl or measuring cup or a microwave-safe bowl combine all ingredients.
- Microwave on HIGH for about 2 minutes or until melted and smooth, removing once to stir.
- Allow to sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes to allow to thicken enough so that it will not run off the cake (test out the consistency by drizzling a small amount over the top of the cake).
- Drizzle over top of the cold cake, then refrigerate (the glaze will harden even more when refrigerated).
Really easy glaze, next time I will use all butter instead of shortening.
This was a delicious addition to an already delicious cake.
Wow, this is a great glaze for cakes. My kids loved the fact that the glaze "cracks" when you cut into it. We reallylike this and I'm already thinking of other cakes this would be great with. Thank you Kittencal for yet another great recipe.