Sydney Mike's Note:
There's no way I could pass up on this recipe, which comes from The Ultimate Chocolate Cookie Book, 2004. Baking time is an estimate, depending on the number of gingerbread men that can be baked at the same time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder, sifted (preferably natural cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger (not more than 2 months from purchase)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3/4 cup unsulphured molasses
- 1/8 cup raisins, for garnish
- 1/8 cup red-hot candies, for garnish
- 1Position racks in the top & bottom thirds of the oven, then preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2With shortening (not on ingredient list) to grease several large baking sheets, then set aside.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder & cloves until spices & coca are evenly distributed, then set aside.
- 4In a 2nd large bowl, & using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream shortening & brown sugar until smooth & airy, about 1 minute.
- 5Beat in egg & then the molasses.
- 6Turn off mixer & add prepared flour mixture, then AT VERY LOW SPEED beat just until crumbly bits of dough form, but not until the mass begins to cohere into a ball.
- 7With flour lightly dust a clean, dry work surface as well as your hands.
- 8Turn dough out & knead just until it forms a smooth mass, about 30 seconds.
- 9Divide into thirds & cover them with a clean kitchen towel.
- 10With flour lightly dust the work surface again & roll one of the thirds to a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Flour the dough & a rolling pin only as necessary.
- 11Use a large gingerbread-man cookie cutter to cut the dough into the desired shapes, then use a metal spatula to transfer them carefully to the prepared baking sheet(s). Gather any scraps, lightly dust again with flour & roll out a 2nd time, creating additional gingerbread men.
- 12Decorate the cookies with the raisins & red hots, using one for the eyes & the other for the mouths. Additional red hots can be used as buttons on their coats.
- 13Bake for 4 minutes, then rotate sheets top to bottom & front to back.
- 14Bake another 4 minutes, or until cookies feel dry but still are a little soft.
- 15Remove from oven & cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes before transferring the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- 16Cool the baking sheets for 5 more minutes, then regrease them before baking additional batches, as necessary, OR work with 2 additional baking sheets, preparing them while the others are in the oven.
- 17Keep no longer than 2 days at room temperature, several more days in the refrigerator, OR up to a month in the freezer.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Gingerbread Men
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.0
- Calories from Fat 57
- Total Fat 6.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 8.8 mg
- Sodium 166.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: