Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I plan to make these for the upcoming holiday season. Recipe is from Woman's Day.
- 3 squares bittersweet chocolate (1 ounce each) or 3 semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) box gingerbread cake mix (Betty Crocker)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 30 chocolate Hershey chocolate kisses (Hershey's Hugs, unwrapped)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F; you'll need a baking sheet.
- Place chocolate and butter in a small microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave on high 1-2 minutes, until melted.
- Stir until well blended and smooth.
- Stir together gingerbread mix, chocolate mixture, flour and hot water in a large bowl with rubber spatula until well blended.
- Put sugar in a small bowl.
- With floured hands, shape scant tablespoons of dough into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in sugar to coat.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes until tops crack slightly but are still soft to the touch.
- Place baking sheet on a wire rack.
- Immediately press a Hug in center of each cookie.
- Transfer cookies from baking sheet to rack to cool completely.
- Store airtight at cool room temperature up to 2 weeks.
These are great. Easy to put together and a nice change for the cookie tray at Christmas.
I made these for a Christmas cookie exchange. They were so easy, thankfully, since I had to make 9 dozen. I found red-striped peppermint hugs, and they looked very festive. I was afraid they would harden, and I prefer soft cookies. But the consistency was firm but really chewy. Wonderful. I will make these every Christmas now.
I could not find hugs anywhere and I looked for weeks so I ended up just going with kisses for these cookies. I wasn't a big fan of the consistency of these cookies or how they looked after spreading. They were VERY easy to make though and I had had everything except for the kisses on hand. UPDATE: These have been sitting around for about 24 hours now and the taste and consistency is different now.......I just love them.