Recipe by Annacia
A classic gets a chocolate twist in these chocolate gingerbread cookies. Fun to make and eat. Everyone loves them. This is a icing option that the Zaar puter doesn't like: colored icing in tubes instead of the colored vanilla icing.
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips, 2 cups
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) containerprepared vanilla frosting, colored as desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave 1 1/2 cups morsels in medium, uncovered, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 1 minute; STIR. The morsels may retain some of their original shape. If necessary, microwave at additional 10- to 15-second intervals, stirring just until melted. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger and cinnamon in medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in small mixer bowl until creamy; beat in molasses and melted chocolate. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with water, beating until smooth. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll half of dough to ¼-inch thickness on floured surface with floured rolling pin. Cut dough into gingerbread boy and girl shapes using cookie cutters or a stencil. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until edges are set but centers are still slightly soft. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place remaining morsels in heavy-duty plastic bag. Microwave on HIGH (100%) power for 30 to 45 seconds; knead. Microwave for 10 seconds; knead until smooth. Cut tiny corner from bag; squeeze to pipe chocolate. Decorate cookies with piped chocolate and prepared frosting or icing.