Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
sweet spicy cake, good for the holiday season or gift giving.
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup lyles golden syrup or 1⁄2 cup honey or 1⁄2 cup corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, sift before measuring
- 2⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 inch peeled and grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup fresh buttermilk, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup semisweet mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease sides and bottom of a 9 inch spring form pan.
- Also line the bottom of pan with parchment paper.
- Melt the 3 ounces chocolate with the syrup, oil, and butter in a double boiler, over simmering water.
- Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir again well.
- In a large bowl, whisk the measured flour, brown sugar,soda, powder, spices, and salt well.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs until foamy, add vanilla and grated ginger and buttermilk.
- Make a well in the centre of dry flour mixture and pour in the buttermilk mixture.
- Stir with wooden spoon to combine well.
- Beat in the chocolate mixture with wooden spoon or electric mixer.
- Stir in the mini chocoalte chips.
- Pour into prepared lined pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until tester comes away clean.
- Let cool in pan for ten minutes or so, and then remove cake from pan.
- Dust with sifted powdered icing sugar before serving.
- This is good fresh same day, and warm, or mellow for a day before serving.
- Wraped in saran this will keep for one week.