Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is an exotic treat for me. My uncles who are diabetic also enjoy these and their doctor never complains. I simply love makin them for christmas. It's a standard hershey's recipe. So i usually use hershey's special dark cocoa....
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup Hersheys cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (or artificial sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 25 pieces extra dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 350°F Line muffin cups (2 1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder and set aside.
- Stir together hot water, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, apple sauce, canola oil and eggs in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients, stirring until just moistened. Stir in chocolate pieces. Fill muffin cups about 1/2-full with this batter.
- Bake 20 to 25 mins or until wooden tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10 mins, remove to wire rack and cool completely.