Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Moist, rich, very chocolaty . . . what is not to love about this cake?! Adapted from a recipe in Country Living UK, this cake tastes far better than it should considering how easy it is to make. My hubby and daughter declare they even prefer it to the store-bought local gourmet bakery chocolate cake. And we live in Quebec, where good French baking traditions thrive!
- Optional: Place Baker's chocolate at room temperature several hours in advance to make the chopping easier.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Put butter, sugar and molasses into a medium pot and stir over low heat until butter has melted. Chop chocolate into small pieces (not too small - spare yourself the trouble as they melt anyhow) while watching the pot. Turn off heat once butter has melted and ingredients in pot have blended.
- Add flour, spices and baking soda to pot, and stir well.
- Add milk, egg and chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Pour into greased 9 inch square glass pan.
- Bake 50/55 minutes, until knife inserted in middle comes out clean. Enjoy with fresh whipped cream!
Some recipes say they are easy and are not. This was easy and great. A slight taste of ginger and a wonderful flavor of chocolate. I think anyone that tries your recipe will make it again and agan. Its that good. Thanks.......Bill