From Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa). This is a luscious cake, perfect for any special occasion. You can make the cake up to a week in advance: wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Glaze it before serving. Enjoy!
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter and flour an 8 inch round cake pan, then the bottom with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time.
- Mix in the syrup and vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix until JUST combined (overbeating with make the cake too tough).
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
- Let cool thoroughly in the pan.
- For the ganache, cook the heavy cream, chocolate chips, and coffee in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth and warm, stirring occasionally.
- Place the cake upside down on a wire rack and pour the glaze evenly over the top, making sure to cover the entire cake and sides.
- You can tilt the rack to smooth the glaze.
- Do not refrigerate.