Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Adopted from the What's Cooking Vegetarian book.
- 50 g vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 1⁄2 cup raw sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups soymilk
- 1 tablespoon rum
- 1⁄3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa, plus extra for dusting
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Lightly grease a 4-cup ovenproof dish.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy. Beat in the eggs.
- Gradually stir in the milk and rum, and add the walnuts.
- Sift the flour and unsweetened cocoa into the batter and, using a metal spoon, fold in gently until well mixed.
- Spoon the batter into the dish and cook in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the sponge is cooked.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar and unsweetened cocoa and serve.