Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Creamy cream cheese layers with a delicious chocolate center, these bars freeze wonderful.
Top Review by *Pixie*
Delicious and easy too! The mixture for the crust and crumb topping was one of the nicest I've ever used (I'm going to steal this for use in other squares!). I had to make a few subs in the filling to match what I had available, cashews instead of walnuts and coffee cream instead of evaporated milk but otherwise kept the measurements the same. I cheated and used the microwave on the filling -- 2 minutes on high and then a really good stirring, worked great. The filling turned out really creamy and richly chocolate. Thanks for posting this, Kittencal.
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chunks or 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 375°.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- In a saucepan, combine chocolate pieces, cream cheese and evaporated milk; stir over low heat until smooth, then set aside.
- Stir in chopped nuts In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter or margarine (if using), until light and fluffy, then blend in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix together flour baking powder and salt, then add to the creamed mixture; mix well to combine.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom the prepared baking pan, then spread the chocolate mixture over crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture, then press down gently.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.
- Cool then cut into bars.