Recipe by mortar&pestle
One of Nigella's cakes that she makes for birthdays. I have adapted it a bit for muffins. It can make about 24 regular sized muffins and 48 mini muffins. It seems complicated but its worth it!
- 400 g plain flour
- 250 g caster sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar (or muscovado)
- 50 g cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 150 ml sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 125 ml vegetable oil
- 175 g butter, melted and cooled
- 300 ml water
- 175 g dark chocolate
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 275 g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180C and line 12 cup muffin tin with papers.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugars, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate and salt.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, sour cream and vanilla until blended.
- In a third bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the melted butter and oil until just blended then beat in the water (yes this really works).
- Add the dry ingredients to the oil mixture all at once and mix on low speed.
- Add the egg mixture and beat until everything is blended well.
- Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack while making icing.
- -- To make the icing --
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave (2-3 mins on medium) and let in cool slightly.
- In a large bowl beat the butter until it is soft and creamy and then add the sifted icing sugar and beat again until everything is light and fluffy.
- Gently add the vanilla and chocolate and beat until smooth.
- Ice the cupcakes with a spatula or piping bag.