Recipe by Bec
This looks interesting: "This delicious sponge holds a hidden surprise when it is cooked, because it separates to reveal a rich chocolate sauce at the bottom of the dish." It is from a vegetarian cookbook of mine. For variation, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of brandy or rum to the mixture, or add 1 to 2 teaspoons of orange juice.
- 4 tablespoons margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- unsweetened cocoa, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease a 4-cup ovenproof dish with margarine.
- Cream together the margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl, until fluffy- Beat in the eggs.
- Gradually stir the milk into the mixture and then add the chopped walnuts, stirring to mix.
- Sift the flour and unsweetened cocoa into the mixture and fold in gently, with a metal spoon, until well mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and cook at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until the sponge is cooked.
- Dust with sugar and unsweetened cocoa and serve.