Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
These cupcakes are a chocolate-lover's dream. Their fudgy flavor is complemented by a light, delicate texture, similar to that of a sponge cake. Topped with a melt-in-your-mouth frosting and chocolate curls, they're irresistible.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
FROSTING AND GARNISH
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped,divided
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- Grease 12-cup muffin pan or line with baking cups.
- Place metal bowl over medium saucepan of barely simmering water (bowl should not touch water).
- Add butter and 6 oz chocolate.
- Let stand until melted; stir until smooth.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in sugar and egg yolks.
- Stir in flour and baking powder.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed until frothy.
- Add cream of tartar.
- Beat at medium-high speed until soft peaks form.
- Fold one-fourth of the whites into chocolate mixture.
- Gently fold in remaining whites until mixed.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan; cool completely.
- To make chocolate curls for garnish, line 4x2x2-inch mini loaf pan with plastic wrap.
- Melt 6 oz of the chocolate in metal bowl set over pan of barely simmering water (do not let bowl touch water).
- Pour into mini loaf pan; cool until firm.
- Unmold chocolate; remove plastic wrap.
- Using vegetable peeler, make curls.
- In medium saucepan, combine remaining 6 oz semisweet chocolate and whipping cream.
- Heat over low heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently.
- Spread each cupcake with frosting; let cupcakes stand until frosting is cool but not set.
- Garnish with chocolate curls.
These were my first cupcakes from scratch and they were delicious! I made them for christmas and i couldn't stop eating them myself
These were so easy to make and so delicious. I used 1/2 cup sugar and no frosting. They were plenty sweet. So chocolatey and delicious! Thanks for posting this!
I also did these with 1/2 cup of sugar and they were plenty sweet! The outside was lightly crunchy, the insides were soft and fluffy with a dense chocolate flavour. I will be making these again and again! THANK YOU