Recipe by Cindy Lynn
This is a recipe I got from True Story magazine years and years ago. I forgot I had this, but it's in my favorites file so I know I thought it was really good at one time (or I wouldn't have bothered to write it out). Hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Bev
A delightful moist, snack cake. This one will need no more than a powdered sugar dusting to finish the top. I prepared exactly as directed by our own Cindy Lynn. Very nice cake, Cindy!
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 4 unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup english walnuts, chopped (pecans, butternuts or black walnuts may be substituted)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together: flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat until light and creamy: butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- Melt chocolate; allow to cool.
- Add butter and cooled (melted) chocolate to the creamed mixture.
- Beat well.
- Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with milk and vanilla.
- Mix well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl: beat egg whites until fluffy.
- Gradually add to egg whites, while beating, 1/2 cup sugar.
- Fold walnuts into egg white mixture.
- Fold egg white and walnut mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Spread in greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 deg F for 50 minutes or until toothpick tests clean.
- Frost or serve plain.