Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Make and share this Chocolate Fruitcake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb mixed candied fruit
- 4 ounces cherries, dried
- 4 ounces pineapple, dried
- 3 cups golden raisins
- 2 cups currants, dried
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup Bourbon
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 cups mixed nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate or 1 1⁄2 ounces Choco-bake, melted
- In large bowl, combine fruits.
- Pour bourbon and molasses over all. Cover; let stand overnight.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Add nuts to fruit mixture. Cream butter with sugars.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add chocolate. Add remaining ingredients to mixture; mix well. Add fruits and nuts.
- Pour into 2 greased and waxed paper-lined 9 x 5 x 3-inch pans. Bake for 3 hours.
First thing, butter is missing from ingredient list but in recipe. I had to guess, s I had everythng else all mixed up. This is different from any other fruitcake I have ever made and it tastes good. I can really taste the chocolate and the cinnamon. The reason I wouldn't make it again is because it is so dark, all of the very expensive and pretty fruit and nuts I used are just kind of part of a muddy brown block. I doubled the recipe with no problem and got three big loaf pan sized fruitcakes and 4 small loaves.