Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from my favorite candy book "Chocolates and Petits Fours" by Beverly Sutherland Smith. Whenever I need a candy for a gift basket this is the book I go to. The serving portions on this is dictated on what size you cut the strips into. Make sure you press this very firmly or it will not hold together.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup pitted dates, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- Line a 11" x 7" baking pan with foil; grease foil. Melt chocolate in a bowl or top of a double boiler set over a pan of simmering water. Stir until smooth. Spread over foil. Let chocolate partially set.
- Heat dates, nuts, sugar and butter in a small saucepan until the butter is hot. Stir occasionally. Combine rice cereal and coconut in a large bowl. Stir in date mixture. Mix well. Spread on top of chocolate base. Spread and flatten mixture firmly so it holds together.
- Chill until set. Invert and remove foil. Invert again so rice topping is uppermost. Cut what is needed into strips. Cover and store remainder in refrigerator up to 1 week.