Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This complete recipe can be doubled. It is best to slice the bars while the chocolate topping is only semi hardened, this will prevent the chocolate from cracking.
Top Review by Chef Patience
It's been a while since I made rice crispy bars. I don't remember using sugar and corn syrup. Anyway, I used dark corn syrup and cheerios, because that is what I had, and I needed to use up the cheerios. They turned out nice and gooey. I liked that, but they were sweeter than I like and didn't taste very much like peanut butter. Oh well, maybe I can modify this next time. Thank you for sharing.<br/><br/>Update: They were so gooey because I didn't wait long enough to try them. The next day they were better, but I discovered that I had made them too thick. That made them hard to eat. Still tasted good, though. Still need more peanut butter. I can't seem to stop eating them. All that sugar is going to kill me yet. (And my DH, who is diabetic, but won't leave these alone.)
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3⁄4 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 0.5 (16 ounce) package mini marshmallows
- 5 1⁄2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts (optional)
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 2 tablespoons shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour the rice cereal and chopped peanuts (if using) in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan combine the light corn syrup and white sugar; bring to a boil; continue to boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in butter or margarine, peanut butter and vanilla until melted and smooth.
- Add in mini marshmallows and stir until blended.
- Pour the marshmallow mixture into the rice cereal and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined.
- Press the mixture into an greased 11 x 7-inch baking pan, flatten with the back of a buttered spoon.
- In a microwave-safe bowl microwave the chocolate chips with shortening on HIGH until melted, removing once to stir.
- Immediately spread the hot chocolate mixture evenly over the bars; chill to harden the chocolate.
- Cut into desired size bars.