Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a big favorite in our home on the weekends, and sure to become one of yours. These are so yummy, it's a good idea to make a double recipe.(cook time is 6 minutes, approx 3 minutes for each side)
Top Review by FLKeysJen
How could a chocolate sandwich be anything but five stars? I sent this to a friend who commented that this was not so healthy so I'll have her know that I used fat free butter cooking spray, low fat milk and extra dark (85% cacao) chocolate. Still, it was very rich and I could only eat half a sandwich. I used homemade Recipe#283079. I was worried when the bread was done but the chocolate hadn't melted - don't be if it happens to you...as soon as I lifted it out of the skillet and on the plate, the chocolate was completely melted and oozing everywhere. Thanks for a fun recipe!
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml milk or 236.59 ml half-and-half cream
- 29.58 ml sugar (or more or less to taste)
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 1.23 ml salt
- 12 slice day-old bread, crusts removed
- 3 (131.82 g) chocolate candy bars, halved
- 29.58 ml butter
- icing sugar (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare a 13x9" baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour half of the egg/milk mixture into an ungreased 13x9" pan.
- Arrange 6 slices of bread in a single layer over egg mixture.
- Place 1 piece of chocolate in the center of each piece of bread.
- Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mxture over all; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Fry sandwiches until golden brown on both sides; remove from frypan and dust with icing sugar.
- Cut sandwiches diagonally; serve warm.