Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 mins
This is a big favorite in our home on the weekends, and sure to become one of yours. These are so yummy, it's a good idea to make a double recipe.(cook time is 6 minutes, approx 3 minutes for each side)
- Prepare a 13x9" baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour half of the egg/milk mixture into an ungreased 13x9" pan.
- Arrange 6 slices of bread in a single layer over egg mixture.
- Place 1 piece of chocolate in the center of each piece of bread.
- Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mxture over all; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Fry sandwiches until golden brown on both sides; remove from frypan and dust with icing sugar.
- Cut sandwiches diagonally; serve warm.
How could a chocolate sandwich be anything but five stars? I sent this to a friend who commented that this was not so healthy so I'll have her know that I used fat free butter cooking spray, low fat milk and extra dark (85% cacao) chocolate. Still, it was very rich and I could only eat half a sandwich. I used homemade Raspberry Wine Toaster Bread. I was worried when the bread was done but the chocolate hadn't melted - don't be if it happens to you...as soon as I lifted it out of the skillet and on the plate, the chocolate was completely melted and oozing everywhere. Thanks for a fun recipe!
Wow was this good. I made this just for me. I didn't have a chocolate bar so I used Nutella instead, it worked great, what flavour this french toast had. I'll be making this again soon, a new favourite brunch treat. Thanks so much for sharing Kitten.
It probably goes without saying that my granddaughter loved this. Chocolate for breakfast! This was good with an icing sauce, but was quite sweet. Easy and yummy.