This is a big favorite in our home on the weekends, and sure to become one of yours. These are so yummy, it's a good idea to make a double recipe.(cook time is 6 minutes, approx 3 minutes for each side)
- Prepare a 13x9" baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Pour half of the egg/milk mixture into an ungreased 13x9" pan.
- Arrange 6 slices of bread in a single layer over egg mixture.
- Place 1 piece of chocolate in the center of each piece of bread.
- Top with remaining bread; pour remaining egg mxture over all; let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Fry sandwiches until golden brown on both sides; remove from frypan and dust with icing sugar.
- Cut sandwiches diagonally; serve warm.