Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
The taste of this delightfully different French toast will remind you of a chocolate croissant - but it's much easier to make! Put the dish together the night before and bake it quickly for a wonderful brunch or dessert. Chocolate and citrus give it a fabulous flavor -
- 12 slices egg bread or 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 6 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups Carnation Evaporated Milk (regular, 2% or fat-free)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar
- orange section (optional)
- In a well greased 13x9-inch baking dish, arrange 6 slices bread. Sprinkle over chopped chocolate. Top with remaining slices.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs slightly. Whisk in orange juice, butter, sugar, evaporated milk and vanilla. Pour over bread. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes, or until puffed and lightly browned. Let stand 10 minuted before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar. Serve with orange sections.
- TIPS: Assemble, cover and refrigerate overnight (butter will harden, but will melt during cooking). Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.