Adapted from Enlightened Chocolate, by Camilla Saulsbury
Make and share this Chocolate-Flecked Multigrain Muffins recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch process)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2⁄3 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water, plus
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate or 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, sugar, brown sugar, wheat germ, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until blended. Stir in the oats and dates. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
- In small bowl whisk the buttermilk, olive oil, vanilla and egg, then add the liquid to the flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Stir in boiling water. Let batter stand 15 minutes. Stir in the chocolate.
- Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 18-20 minutes or until muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Remove muffins from the tin immediately. Place on a wire rack and cool.