This recipe calls for Mexican cajeta (caramel topping). If you cannot find this in your supermarket, substitute Smucker's Caramel topping, however the Mexican cajeta has a richer flavor. This is very easy to make, and super good. Use it with your next Mexican Fiesta!!
- 1 (18 ounce) boxchocolate devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (amount per cake mix directions)
- 1⁄2 cup oil (amount per cake mix directions)
- 3 eggs (amount per cake mix directions)
- 1 (11 ounce) jarcajeta caramel topping or 1 (11 ounce) jarsmucker caramel topping
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 cup fresh milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 eggs
- Heat oven to 350ºF.
- Spray a large 12-cup Bundt pan with nonstick coating.
- Soften the cajeta in the jar in the microwave and pour into the prepared pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
- Pour the cake batter into the cake pan over the cajeta.
- To make the flan: Pour condensed, evaporated and fresh milks into a blender with the cream cheese, vanilla and eggs.
- Mix well.
- Pour the flan mixture very slowly over the cake batter.
- Spray aluminum foil with non-stick spray (like Pam);.
- cover the pan TIGHTLY with aluminum foil.
- (Covering tightly is very important.) Set the Bundt pan into a large pan and set on the oven rack and slide into the oven.
- Carefully pour hot water into the larger pan to a depth of 2 inches (The Bundt pan will be sitting in 2 inches of water).
- Bake cake for 2 hours (test); do not uncover during this time.
- After two hours, remove cake from water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Peel off the aluminum foil.
- Invert cake onto a large plate with rim.
- The cajeta will drip down the sides of the cake.
- Cool completely then refrigerate. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Note: Even though the flan is poured on top of the cake batter, it will sink to the bottom of the pan.