Recipe by Luby Luby Luby
I needed a chocolate cake filling and found this recipe posted by Fragglerock1 on Cake Central. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of hot water but I found that to be very thin and not suitable for filling a cake. I reduced the water to 5 tablespoons and it's just right. The consistency is like soft fudge and is wonderful on any type of cake as a filling or an icing. If you want to use it as a topping for ice cream increase the water to 1/2 cup. I find it is the perfect consistency when used as soon as it cools, but if you let it sit overnight it does become thicker. If it does become too thick you add additional hot water for a thinner consistency. In case you have a large containers of marshmallow cream and evaporated milk you would use 1 1/3 cups of marshmallow cream and 2/3 cup of evaporated milk. This will easily fill and ice an 8"or 9" cake.
- 198.44 g jar marshmallow cream
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 141.74 g can evaporated milk
- 59.16 ml butter
- 1.23 ml salt
- 709.77 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 73.94 ml hot water (or more to thin)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chips in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes, stirring to melt.
- If not melted microwave for 15 second intervals stirring thoroughly each time until melted then set aside.
- In large heavy saucepan combine sugar, evaporated milk, marshmallow cream, butter and salt.
- Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it comes to a vigorous boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes thenn remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and melted chocolate chips, stirring until incorporated.
- Add hot water and using hand mixer beat on high until incorporated.
- Let cool at room temperature.