Luby Luby Luby's Note:
I needed a chocolate cake filling and found this recipe posted by Fragglerock1 on Cake Central. The original recipe called for 1/2 cup of hot water but I found that to be very thin and not suitable for filling a cake. I reduced the water to 5 tablespoons and it's just right. The consistency is like soft fudge and is wonderful on any type of cake as a filling or an icing. If you want to use it as a topping for ice cream increase the water to 1/2 cup. I find it is the perfect consistency when used as soon as it cools, but if you let it sit overnight it does become thicker. If it does become too thick you add additional hot water for a thinner consistency. In case you have a large containers of marshmallow cream and evaporated milk you would use 1 1/3 cups of marshmallow cream and 2/3 cup of evaporated milk. This will easily fill and ice an 8"or 9" cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place chips in microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes, stirring to melt.
- 2If not melted microwave for 15 second intervals stirring thoroughly each time until melted then set aside.
- 3In large heavy saucepan combine sugar, evaporated milk, marshmallow cream, butter and salt.
- 4Cook over medium heat stirring constantly until it comes to a vigorous boil.
- 5Cook for 5 minutes thenn remove from heat.
- 6Add vanilla and melted chocolate chips, stirring until incorporated.
- 7Add hot water and using hand mixer beat on high until incorporated.
- 8Let cool at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Filling or Icing (Fudgey)
Serving Size: 1 (1282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1207.4
- Calories from Fat 469
- Total Fat 52.1 g
- Saturated Fat 31.3 g
- Cholesterol 40.8 mg
- Sodium 339.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 166.9 g
- Protein 8.2 g