Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
this is a great bar that will fill almost any need. Christmas cookie trays, showers, pot-luck's and family munching.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered instant coffee
- 3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts, divided
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2⁄3 cup hershey's cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350°F Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl until well blended.
- Add eggs, vanilla and instant coffee and beat until fluffy.
- Stir together oats, flour, baking soda, salt and 1 cup walnuts; gradually stir into butter mixture with spoon (Dough will be thick).
- Set aside 2 cups dough.
- Press remaining dough evenly onto bottom of ungreased 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Prepare CHOCOLATE FILLING; spread evenly over dough.
- Crumble reserved dough evenly over filling. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup walnuts. Bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown (chocolate will be soft).
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack; cut into bars.
- About 4 dozen bars.
- CHOCOLATE FILLING: Melt butter in medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in cocoa and sugar. Add sweetened condensed milk; cook, stirring constantly, until smooth and thick. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla.
Made this for a family potluck and everyone loved them very easy to put really very good thank you for posting
Absolutely scrumptious! I had to substitute regular rolled oats since I didn't have the quick-cooking kind, but they still turned out fabulous. They are quite rich, but make a wonderful treat! The only problem I had was that a fair bit of the nuts fell off the top part when trying to eat them, however, I think next time I'll just push them into the dough a bit before cooking and see if that helps.
Delicious! The bars cut nicely and are chewy and fudgey, but not overly sweet! I used 1/2 teaspoon orange oil instead of vanilla in the dough ~ too much holiday baking and I was out! The orange flavor was very faint and married nicely with the coffee ~ I omitted the 1/4 cup sugar from the chocolate filling, and added 1 teaspoon instant coffee due to having no vanilla. Made for the Safari Supper Club's Photo Tag, December 2008.