Prep 20 mins
Cook 22 mins
I found this recipe MSN.com and wanted somewhere to save it for future reference. Can't wait to try these out.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened (no substitutions)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Prepare Cream Cheese Dough: In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter and cream cheese until well blended. Gradually add sugars and beat 3 minutes or until light and creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low; gradually beat in flour mixture just until blended, occasionally scraping bowl.
- Place level 3/4 cup dough on sheet of plastic wrap. Repeat to make 7 more 3/4 cupfuls. Wrap each with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to roll out dough, prepare Chocolate Filling: In 2-quart saucepan, heat sweetened condensed milk and chocolate over medium heat just until chocolate melts, stirring frequently. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in walnuts. Cool filling to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Grease 2 large cookie sheets.
- Remove 1 piece of dough from refrigerator. On lightly floured 16-inch sheet of waxed paper, with floured rolling pin, roll dough into 10" by 6" rectangle. Spread heaping 1/4 cup filling lengthwise down center of rectangle. Starting from a long side and using waxed paper to help lift dough, fold 1 side of dough lengthwise over filling, then remaining side over dough (dough should overlap).
- Pick up waxed paper and flip cookie log onto 1 side of prepared cookie sheet, seam side down. Repeat with another piece of dough and filling. Flip second log parallel to first log, leaving about 2 inches between logs.
- Bake logs 20 to 22 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Cool logs on cookie sheet 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- While logs bake, repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Wrap each cooled log separately with foil or plastic wrap, and store in tightly covered containers at room temperature up to 2 weeks or in freezer up to 3 months.
- To serve, sprinkle logs with confectioners’ sugar. Cut each log crosswise on the diagonal into 12 slices. (If logs are frozen, thaw completely at room temperature before sprinkling with sugar and slicing.).