Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
A really terrific variation of the old classic.
- 1⁄2 cup un-blanched sliced almonds
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups bleached all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 ounces milk chocolate, chopped fine
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature, cut into 6 chunks
- On a baking sheet roast almonds until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes, toss every 2-3 minutes Allow to cool to room temperature.
- FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD---------------------.
- Grind almonds and sugar in a food processor until very fine.
- Cut butter into 16 chunks, with the processor add butter a chunk at a time.
- Process until creamy.
- Scrape down bowl.
- Add egg and extract, process until mixed, scrape down bowl.
- Add flour and salt, pulse until just combined.
- Scrape into a bowl.
- ELECTRIC MIXER METHOD--------------------------°- .
- Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut butter in to 16 pcs, Allow butter and eggs to come to room temperature.
- Grind almonds to a fine powder (can be done with a rolling pin and a plastic bag).
- In a second medium bowl cream butter, sugar until very light and fluffy.
- Add almonds, beat until well combined.
- Lightly beat egg and extracts, add to butter mixture, beat until just combined.
- Stir in flour and salt until just combined.
- BOTH METHODS---------------------.
- With a cookie press or pastry bag fitted with a no 22 tip, put cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- Decorate with colored sugar, etc.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Refrigerate Cookies on the sheet for 20 minutes, this will help them hold their shape.
- Bake cookies one pan at a time for 8-10 minutes (until very lightly browned), rotate pan halfway through the baking to promote even cooking.
- Allow to sit on sheet for 3-4 minutes, remove with an angled spatula to a rack.
- Cool completely.
- Melt 3/4 of the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water (160 degrees or so) (bowl must not touch water).
- When chocolate starts to melt remove from heat and stir until smooth, add remaining chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Let the chocolate sit until it's no longer warm to the touch and SLOWLY beat in the butter.
- Do not over beat this mixture.
- Place the mixture in a freezer bag (corner cut off) or pastry bag and pipe it on to the bottom of 1/2 of the cookies.
- Cover with second half to form a sandwich.
- Do about 10 at a time as the chocolate mixture will start to set up.
- Let cookies set for 2 hours for filling to set 100%.
- Store covered in an airtight container for about a month.
FANTASTIC - my mother LOVED these - thank you so much!!!