A really terrific variation of the old classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup un-blanched sliced almonds
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups bleached all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1On a baking sheet roast almonds until lightly browned, about 6-8 minutes, toss every 2-3 minutes Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 2FOOD PROCESSOR METHOD---------------------.
- 3Grind almonds and sugar in a food processor until very fine.
- 4Cut butter into 16 chunks, with the processor add butter a chunk at a time.
- 5Process until creamy.
- 6Scrape down bowl.
- 7Add egg and extract, process until mixed, scrape down bowl.
- 8Add flour and salt, pulse until just combined.
- 9Scrape into a bowl.
- 10ELECTRIC MIXER METHOD--------------------------°- .
- 11Whisk flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- 12Cut butter in to 16 pcs, Allow butter and eggs to come to room temperature.
- 13Grind almonds to a fine powder (can be done with a rolling pin and a plastic bag).
- 14In a second medium bowl cream butter, sugar until very light and fluffy.
- 15Add almonds, beat until well combined.
- 16Lightly beat egg and extracts, add to butter mixture, beat until just combined.
- 17Stir in flour and salt until just combined.
- 18BOTH METHODS---------------------.
- 19With a cookie press or pastry bag fitted with a no 22 tip, put cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets, about 1 1/2 inches apart.
- 20Decorate with colored sugar, etc.
- 21Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 22Refrigerate Cookies on the sheet for 20 minutes, this will help them hold their shape.
- 23Bake cookies one pan at a time for 8-10 minutes (until very lightly browned), rotate pan halfway through the baking to promote even cooking.
- 24Allow to sit on sheet for 3-4 minutes, remove with an angled spatula to a rack.
- 25Cool completely.
- 27Melt 3/4 of the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water (160 degrees or so) (bowl must not touch water).
- 28When chocolate starts to melt remove from heat and stir until smooth, add remaining chocolate and stir until smooth.
- 29Let the chocolate sit until it's no longer warm to the touch and SLOWLY beat in the butter.
- 30Do not over beat this mixture.
- 31Place the mixture in a freezer bag (corner cut off) or pastry bag and pipe it on to the bottom of 1/2 of the cookies.
- 32Cover with second half to form a sandwich.
- 33Do about 10 at a time as the chocolate mixture will start to set up.
- 34Let cookies set for 2 hours for filling to set 100%.
- 35Store covered in an airtight container for about a month.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Filled Almond Spritz Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (24 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.3
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 30.0 mg
- Sodium 11.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 1.7 g