Prep 10 mins
Cook 17 mins
A healthier version!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons applesauce or 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.
- In medium bowl, Sift together flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In large bowl stir in milk, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients to large bowl; beat well. Add chocolate chips and walnuts, stir well.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Poke almonds into tops of unbaked muffins. Sprinkle muffins with sugar.
- Bake for 17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.