Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A filling, high fiber snack that makes you feel like you're having a treat. For an extra treat, top with a ration of Nutella. :)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups ground flax seeds
- 4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups gluten-free flour (Gluten-Free Flour Blend)
- 1 cup cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons guar gum or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- Mix buckwheat flour, flax, and water. Let stand.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Line two muffin trays with paper baking cups. Spray with oil or Pam.
- In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla, oil, vinegar, and eggs to buckwheat mixture. Blend well.
- Add liquids to dry ingredients and mix well.
- Fill cups about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
I have made the full version and half version of this recipe. They stay really moist, and are definitely high in fibre. I only use sugar in the recipe, as I don't use artificial sweeteners, This is just my personal choice. My muffins didn't appear as nice looking as the posted photo, as they were a little uneven on top, but they still tasted great. Next time, I might try to cut back a bit on the xanthan gum, as maybe my batter was a little too thick. I might also consider adding a little cinnamon.