1/1 Photo of Chocolate Fantasy Cake With Chocolate Ganache Icing
1 hr 5 mins
The first time I ever saw Emeril Lagasse was on Good Morning America. My cable TV company did not have the Food Network (I have DirecTV now to solve that problem, and to get Animal Planet as well!) The recipe he made on GMA that really impressed me and actually pushed me into my cooking craze was this flourless, rich Chocolate Fantasy Cake -- BAM and all. I have posted the cake and chocolate ganache icing as one recipe here. It is just incredible, and I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature,separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Chocolate Ganache Icing (use 1 1/2 cups)
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9" springform pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter and dust with flour.
- 2In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate with the remaining 8 tablespoons of butter and stir occasionally until smooth and creamy.
- 3Remove from heat.
- 4Separate the eggs.
- 5In another bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks together with the sugar and vanilla until thick, stopping to scrape the sides of the bowl once or twice, for about 3 minutes.
- 6In a third bowl, whisk the egg whites with the salt until stiff, for about two minutes.
- 7Slowly and gently fold the chocolate into the yolk mixture, adding just a little chocolate at a time to keep the eggs from scrambling.
- 8Fold in the egg whites.
- 9Pour the batter into the springform pan and bake in the center of the oven until spongy; for about 40 minutes.
- 10Remove from the oven, remove the springform ring and place the cake on a rack to cool completely.
- 11When the cake is cool, prepare the icing as follows.
- 12In a metal bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate with the cream, stirring constantly until smooth.
- 13Don't let the mixture boil.
- 14Remove from the heat.
- 15Use immediately or store, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 24 hours.
- 16Reheat in the top of a double boiler.
- 17To serve, spread the chocolate ganache icing over the cake.
- 18Top with raspberries or strawberries rolled in sugar and serve a small wedge of cake with a dollop of whipped cream (and a BAM of powdered sugar looks lovely as well).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Fantasy Cake With Chocolate Ganache Icing
Serving Size: 1 (1245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4571.5
- Calories from Fat 3688
- Total Fat 409.8 g
- Saturated Fat 247.5 g
- Cholesterol 1495.3 mg
- Sodium 1681.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 291.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 75.3 g
- Sugars 157.1 g
- Protein 93.4 g