1/1 Photo of Chocolate Espresso Torte
Rich, intensely-flavored dessert from Fine Cooking. I made this especially for my husband, whose #1 drink of choice is espresso. You'll definitely want to use top-quality chocolate and, of course, good, fresh coffee beans. I used 8 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, rather than the semisweet/unsweetened combination, and refrigerated overnight before serving. The original recipe listed double-strength coffee as an alternative to the brewed espresso, but I would only use this if you have no means to brew espresso, or, at least, access to purchased shots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter (8 tablespoons, cut into pieces, plus more for the pan)
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso, cooled to room temperature
- 1 tablespoon sifted finely ground espresso beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Butter an 8-inch cake pan (I used a springform pan) and line bottom with parchment paper. Butter the parchment and lightly flour (or use cocoa) the pan, shaking out excess.
- 2In a small, heavy-based saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over medium heat, stirring frequently. Set aside.
- 3Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, whip the eggs, sugar, brewed espresso, ground espresso beans, and salt on medium-high speed until thick and voluminous, at least 8 minutes (I mixed about 10 minutes). Turn the mixer to low and mix in the chocolate-butter mixture. Turn off mixer and sift the flour over the batter and fold until all the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- 4Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- 5Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Set a plate over the torte and carefully invert the torte onto the plate; peel off the parchment. Flip the torte back onto the rack to cool completely before slicing. (Since I used a springform pan, I let it cool completely in the pan.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Espresso Torte
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 274.6
- Calories from Fat 207
- Total Fat 23.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 93.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 10.3 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: