1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Timing does not include the 24 hours needed to chill. You could sub in boughten ladyfingers-split, if you prefer. I prefer using amaretti biscuits myself. I appreciate that this can be portioned into pudding cups and frozen-perfect when cooking for 2! I use regular coffee--I put a half scoop into small bowl with 1 cup water, cover it with wax paper (or it really messes up your microwave --I can vouch for that--lol!!) then nuke for about 2 minutes-- strain through coffee filter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons cocoa, for kitchen towel not batter
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, sifted (optional)
- chocolate shavings (optional)
- chocolate-covered coffee beans (optional)
- 1Biscuit-Allow egg to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, grease a 9 X 9 inch baking dish, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Line the bottom of baking pan with parchment paper, grease and flour paper; set aside.
- 4In a small bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
- 5In a medium bowl, beat egg with an electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until thick and lemon colored.
- 6Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- 7Add the flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed JUST until combined.
- 8In a small saucepan, combine milk and butter; heat and stir until butter melts; add to batter along with vanilla, beating until combined.
- 9Pour batter into prepared pan.
- 10Bake about 15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 11Cool biscuit in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 12Loosen sides from pan and turn out onto a kitchen towel sprinkled with cocoa powder.
- 13Carefully remove paper; discard.
- 14Cool COMPLETELY, about 25 minutes.
- 16Chill large metal bowl and whipping beater in freezer.
- 17Optional-Place bittersweet chocolate in a small microwave safe bowl, microwave, uncovered, on 50 percent power (medium) about 1 minute or until chocolate is melted and smooth, stirring every 15 seconds-set aside to COOL about 15 minutes. Careful as you don't want it to harden up again.
- 18Beat inmascarpone, vanilla, and OPTIONAL cooled chocolate with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- 19Set up chilled metal bowl and whipping beater, whip whipping cream and powdered sugar until soft peaks form, then gently FOLD (not beat it in or it will be dense) the whipping cream mixture into the mascarpone mixture.
- 20Put Kahlua and espresso into a shallow dish.
- 21Cut cooled biscuit into 16 pieces.
- 22Dip 8 pieces QUICKLY into the coffee mixture one at a time (if you saturate them too much you will have a soggy mess) and arrange side by side, in a serving dish-about 1 quart size or you could use pudding cups.
- 23Cover biscuit with HALF the mascarpone mixture.
- 24Top with remaining biscuit, and remaining mascarpone mixture.
- 25Dust top with cocoa, chocolate shavings, or chocolate covered coffee beans,.
- 26Refrigerate 24 hours, or FREEZE.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Espresso Tiramisu
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 249.5
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 79.0 mg
- Sodium 99.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: