Recipe by the_cookie_lady
From Cooking Light's 1994 Annual Cookbook. This is baked in an 8" square pan and is very easy to make. The "pudding" texture is created by pouring hot liquid over the batter just before baking. Just don't stir the liquid into the batter!
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Combine milk, oil and vanilla; add to dry ingredients and stir. Spoon into an 8-inch square pan.
- Combine brown sugar, 3 Tbsp cocoa and 2 tsp espresso powder. Sprinkle over batter. Pour water over batter. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when touched. Serve warm.