1/1 Photo of Chocolate-Espresso-Pistachio Biscotti
1 hr 10 mins
I had some pistachios in the freezer that I needed to use up and I developed this recipe. I think it came out quite nicely, not too sweet. Hazelnuts or almonds can be substituted for the pistachios (make sure to toast them first). Let me know what you think!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 cups flour, plus up to
- 2 tablespoons more flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons espresso powder (I use Nescafe)
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 cups pistachios
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease a large rectangular baking pan with a light coating of olive oil.
- 3Sift all dry ingredients together.
- 4In small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in 1/3 cup water.
- 5Add eggs and olive oil and beat with a whisk until well-combined.
- 6Pour wet ingredients into dry, add pistachios and (yes, I do this by hand) start mixing the flour gently into the liquids until all the ingredients have been incorporated and you have a malleable dough.
- 7If the dough is a bit sticky, sprinkle over 1 tablespoonful of flour and turn dough into the flour to coat.
- 8Knead the flour in.
- 9The dough should now be malleable without being sticky.
- 10If it is still sticky, repeat with another tablespoonful of flour.
- 11Cut dough into 3 equal pieces and shape into logs that are about 12 inches long and 2 ½ inches wide (every persons logs are slightly different they will spread while baking so have a good distance between them).
- 12Bake for 30 minutes.
- 13The biscotti will have risen only slightly, spread out some, and have a cracked surface.
- 14Cool completely.
- 15Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- 16With a serrated bread knife and a straight, downwards motion, cut biscotti at just under ½ inch intervals on the diagonal.
- 17(this will leave you with 6 not-so-nice-looking end pieces that you can munch on there and then) Place the pieces, cut side down, back in the baking pan.
- 18Not all the pieces may fit, in which case youll have to bake a second pan's worth after the first.
- 19Staggering two pans is not suggested unless you have a convection oven and can use that feature to make sure there is even heat distributed within the oven.
- 20Bake 15 minutes, turn pieces over, bake 15 minutes longer.
- 21Cool completely and keep in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate-Espresso-Pistachio Biscotti
Serving Size: 1 (1224 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 117.7
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 13.9 mg
- Sodium 94.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 2.7 g